Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The magic has run out

Imagine, right after my previous post, I was again disconnected.

It means I will again have to run around debugging, and trying all permutations and combinations, and trying them again.

Einstein (I think) once said, madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Or something like that.

By the way, once you have Linux fully configured and running with all the bells and whistles you wanted, what do you do? What comes next?

I have done something I haven't tried in a long time - sticking to a distro. I am still (happily) with Mandriva 2006. I have a Fedora Core 5 DVD, I have given away Ubunty Breezy Badger CDs (four sets plus one single CD), I have passed up Suse OpenLinux 10.1, and a Debian Sarge DVD. I am expecting to be the recipient of Mr. Shuttleworth's kindness, the latest Ubuntu CDs soon. The question is, will I ever try them?

My next quest is to get a 3D accelerator card - one that runs with open drivers on Linux, of course. Once I move my butt and buy something, I will install a good distribution with XGL and all that shiny shit. Currently, my Intel 865 board creeps with OpenGL. Oh, and I plan to double my 256 MB RAM.


Hey, I want somebody to tell me why installing software on any RedHat like system, with RPMs, tends to slow down the computer so horribly, if you do it from the GUI. There isn't too much of a performance problem if you go $ rpm -ivh xxx_aa-nn.rpm from a shell, but man, does it progressively deteriorate the system if you use a GUI package manager! Is there some tweak that I need to perform?

1 Comments:

At Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:34:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Since you like open source applications, you might want to try out OpenLX.com and Kalculate.com

They are our very own desi competitors to Red Hat and Novell :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home