Saturday, January 29, 2005

My experiments with FOSS

I recently installed Fedora Core 3 from a Digit DVD. Actually, I copied several ISO images to my FAT32 partition, created a Linux Boot CD (extracted the image using WinRAR from an ISO) and went ahead. The installation experience was the same as with PCQLinux 8.0 (Redhat 8.0) PCQLinux 2004 (Fedora Core 1). Manual partitioning with existing NTFS/FAT32 partitions is still a problem, while automatic partitioning resolves the issue.

Some of my biggest problems with Linux have been enabling support for my internal modem (aka winmodem, PCTEL HSP789), soundcard (now resolved with newer kernels and Alsa), DV camera etc.

There are some drivers available for the winmodem, but you have to compile them and insert them, if you are lucky enough to have a version matching your kernel. If you don't (current stable release is for kernel 2.4.x, while I have 2.6.9 / 2.6.10), wait till somebody develops something.

In case of the DV camera where the manufacturer only supplies Windows drivers, Michael Xhaard has some drivers for SunPlus chipsets. I have downloaded it, but not tried as yet. The clips I have recorded with this camera play only under Windows. Why? It uses the MS MPEG4 ISO V.1 codec, which relies on DirectX and has compatibilty issues (when I enable the camera's normal or high-res modes) with open source projects such as VLC, which otherwise can do a LOT of things with video and audio files.

Yet another problem was enabling NTFS support in my kernel. One option was to rebuild, but was no option at all as I don't know enough of it, and as I am missing some libraries. I found an RPM at Sourceforge, which has installed perfectly, but with WRITE SUPPORT! Really dangerous this can be for your native Windows partition.

I could only read the NTFS partition as root, so I tried to chmod -R 555, but the permissions have been applied only to the directories, not the files. So it's some more man and info till I find a way to do it while managing not to destroy the partition.

Why do I plan to go to all this length? Since the last few days, whenever I've logged on to the intenet, most of my time has been spent blocking network intrusion attempts that my firewall notifies. This is because Windows XP (even with SP2) and various malware demonstrate a force of attraction unparalleled in strength anywhere in the universe.

Now Microsoft wants to enforce the Genuine Disadvantage, so that unauthorised copies of its OS cannot get updates. It now plans to use the combined strength of virus writers to ward off piracy. However, it will end up creating more of a mess on the internet if out-of-date computers fall prey to DoS attacks or become virus repository and dissemination centres. Another big joke is the stripped down version of Windows XP, which runs only three concurrent processes, for Rs. 1500 and lots of free viruses.

Microsoft first tried product activation on Windows XP, which failed because there were cracks available. It also resulted into compromised pirated copies. It tried to restrict SP1 to genuine users, but failed miserably as it gave rise to more cracks and compromises. SP2 was a much better effort, as it updated systems regardless of license. However, have you noticed the size of each of these service packs starting from Windows NT 4.0? Even after applying SP2, users spent a lot of time getting even more updates and fixes online, only automatically. Did anybody count the cost of maintenance in this instance?

Why not rather use a free, secure operating system that makes so many more things possible for the user, at the least upfront and maintenance costs, even if it takes a little bit of effort to learn and configure? At least you won't be forced to format the native partition every six months. So, as soon as I get that modem driver loaded, it's goodbye Windows.

There is one good piece of software available for Windows, though. It's Ray's Letters and Numbers, a really good FREE educational program for kids from 1.50-3.50 years. It's creator seems to have understood child psychology and teaching methodology in real depth. My daughter, who is 2 years and 5 months old now, can recognize letters from the second character alphabet, use a mouse to click on them, and copy out the spelling (colours, numbers, household objects, etc.) shown on screen. Another good free software is Letter Sounds, from Owl & Mouse software. My daughter loves this one too, and it is the next step after Ray's ABC.

We now need open source versions of these two, and something more from the K stable than what it currently offers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home