Saturday, January 22, 2005

Freedom and openness

I installed (after some mysteriously failed attempts on Win 98 SE, bug report submitted) Picasa 2 today. It's Simply Superb Software. It's one of the best and non-sinister image/video managers available today, and to top it, it's free!

And of course, I love Firefox 1.0! Firstly, it's much lighter and safer, unlike IE. Secondly, it's OSS, unlike Opera. Lastly, IT'S EXTENSIBLE!!! Thunderbird also seems very promising, but I'll only start using it exclusively after its integration with Sunbird. I've just taken a brief look, and I like what I saw.

One thing is certain, as OSS gets more and more popular (and much more sophisticated), there will be lesser incentive for people to pirate Microsoft's offerings!

Godspeed, FOSS! And may you soon be known as only OSS, and thereafter, Software.

As an aside, think of all the skills that were developed and refined and passed down from generation to generation and spread all over the world by our ancestors. Now imagine what Microsoft would have done with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home